Scotland Yard said last night it was “scoping” new information about the deaths of Diana, Princess of Wales and Dodi al-Fayed. The new file, passed to the Metropolitan Police by Royal Military Police officers, includes allegations that a former SAS soldier claimed to know who “arranged Princess Diana’s death and that it had been covered up”.
The allegation is contained in a letter written by the former parents-in-law of an ex-serviceman. The letter emerged during the most recent court martial of former SAS sniper Danny Nightingale, 38, who was convicted of possessing a gun and ammunition. The former soldier accused of having knowledge of Princess Diana’s death is an ex-colleague of Sgt Nightingale.
Diana, Dodi and their chauffeur Henri Paul died on August 31, 1997 in a car crash in Paris. An inquest found they had been unlawfully killed because of a lack of seatbelts, excessive speed and Mr Paul’s drink-driving.
A three-year police re-investigation of the circumstances – Operation Paget – rejected previous claims of murder by Dodi’s father, former Harrods owner Mohamed al-Fayed.
A Scotland Yard statement said: “We are scoping information in relation to the deaths and assessing its relevance and credibility. The assessment will be carried out by officers from the specialist crime and operations command. This is not a re-investigation and does not come under Operation Paget.”
A spokesman for Mr Fayed said he had no comment to make, but that he will be “interested in seeing the outcome”, adding that he trusts the Met will investigate the information “with vigour”.
The now deceased, Negus McLean, was chased by boys on bikes in Edmonton and repeatedly stabbed until the blade of a large knife broke away from its handle.
The 16-year-old Jamaican teen, who is the youngest of the gang members implicated, was found guilty of murdering McLean, an act which took place on Tuesday, April 10, 2011.
The teens implicated are all members of the Enfield EN3 Get Money Gang.
According to http://www.heart.co.uk, four gang members were given life terms Tuesday for killing the 15-year-old boy who was chased by a “hunting posse of boys on bicycles” and stabbed.
THE STAR gathered that the judge lifted anonymity after Billal Lariba, 18, Brandon Hamilton, 18, both of Enfield, north London, Tershan Edwards, 19, of St Albans, Hertfordshire, and the 16-year-old of Enfield were found guilty of murder.
They were given life sentences. Hamilton was ordered to serve a minimum of 19 years; Edwards – 17 years; Lariba – 16-and-a-half years; and the 16-year-old – 12-and-a-half years
RESIDENTS of 89 Maxfield Avenue were in shock yesterday morning as they woke up to find the body of a naked teenaged girl at the gates of the St Phillips Anglican Church.
The body was not identified up to press time yesterday but a police officer on the scene told the Jamaica Observer that the deceased appeared to be between the ages of 16 and 19.
“She appears to be an adolescent,” said the policeman from the St Andrew South Police Division who secured the crime scene.
A report from the Constabulary Communication Network said the body was of brown complexion, slim build, about 163 centimetres (5 feet 4 inches) long with braided extensions.
Police said the body had several stab wounds in the neck and abdomen. A bloodied underwear was found several feet from where the body lay in a pool of blood and the brassiere was cut off her body.
The young woman‘s unclad body was near the entrance to the Norman Manley High School and due to police yellow tape some students of the institution were inconvenienced as they were prevented from entering school as officers tried to preserve the crime scene.
Staff at Norman Manley High, Glenhope Place of Safety and the Maxfield Park Children’s Home — all located at that section of Maxfield Avenue which is close to the communities of Frog City and McDonald Lane — were given a chance to view the corpse in a bid to ascertain the victim’s identity. However, none of the persons who viewed the body were able to identify her.
“It seems she was not from around here either as none of the residents who saw her could identify her. No one seems to know her,” a policeman said.
One man who resides at the nearby Ethiopian Orthodox Church complained that thieves were plaguing persons who traversed the road on foot and said a woman was robbed of her cellular phone and slashed several times as she made her way to work one morning about 8:00 am.
“This road is very dangerous as they rob people very regularly even in the day. We have reported this to the police and asked them to patrol the road regularly. It gets worse at night as the road is pitch dark. The thieves use the football field as their escape route,” he said, suggesting that those robbers could be responsible for the young woman’s demise.
A woman who had gathered behind the yellow tape said it was possible that the young woman was raped and killed at the spot where her body was found. “It coulda happen right there as when night come not many people walk around there,” she said.
After the police handed over the body to funeral home workers and the curious crowd converged on the spot where the woman’s body lay, a knife blade was seen at the blood-soaked earth by the residents who showed iti to the police.
The blade was retrieved and taken into evidence.
The police said vaginal swabs will be conducted on the body to find out if the female was sexually abused.
Murderers of police officers are to be given whole-life sentences and be left to die in prison, the home secretary, Theresa May, is to reveal at the Police Federation conference.
May says it is time for “life to mean life” in such cases because murdering a police officer in the course of their duty represents an attack on the “fundamental basis of our society”.
She will tell the Police Federation on Wednesday: “We ask police officers to keep us safe by confronting and stopping violent criminals for us. We ask them to take risks so that we don’t have to. That is why I am clear that life should mean life for anyone convicted of killing a police officer.”
The move by May, who was jeered and heckled when she addressed the Police Federation conference last year, is likely to come into effect within months, and to receive a warm welcome from rank-and-file police officers. It will also thrill Tory backbenchers and seal May’s reputation as a hardline Conservative home secretary trying to put some steel into the party.
Twelve police officers have been killed while on duty since 2000.
The latest to die were two women police officers, Nicola Hughes and Fiona Bone, who were killed during a gun and grenade attack when they responded to a routine burglary call last September in Manchester. Dale Creggan, aged 29, who has admitted murdering them, is yet to be sentenced as he is currently on trial for the separate killing of a father and son, which he denies.
Crown Prosecution Service guidelines currently reserve whole-life sentences for serial killers, child murderers or those who kill in the name of religion, politics or an idelogical cause.
The current starting point for the murder of a police or prison officer in the course of their duty is a life sentence with a minimum term of 30 years. David Bieber, who murdered PC Ian Broadhurst in December 2003, received a life sentence with a minimum of 37 years before he could be considered for parole.
Mustaf Jama, Yusuf Jama and Muzzaker Shah, the members of a criminal gang that shot dead PC Sharon Beshenivsky during a robbery in Bradford in 2005, were all given life sentences with a minimum term of 35 years.
The longest-serving police killer is Harry Roberts, who was imprisoned in 1966 for the murder of three police officers in Shepherd’s Bush, in west London. He was sentenced to a minimum term of 30 years before he could apply for parole but he has so far served 46 years. The parole board last decided in 2009 that he remained a risk to the public after he made violent threats to the owners of an animal sanctuary where he was working on day release.
The whole-life sentence was introduced in 1983, when Michael Howard was home secretary. Since then, at least 63 murderers have been told they will not be released from jail, including 23 as a result of an executive decision. They include Ian Brady, Rosemary West and Harold Shipman.
The change is to be made by the justice secretary, Chris Grayling, who will make an order under the 2003 Criminal Justice Act to change the starting point for the murder of a police officer from 30 years to a whole-life order. Grayling is shortly to consult the sentencing council, which represents the judges, on the move.
May said earlier this week that she was looking forward to the conference: “It is always an interesting experience,” she said.
A 20-year old woman was stabbed to death during an incident with an 18-year-old female in Greater Portmore, St Catherine, early yesterday.
Information reaching THE STAR is that shortly after midnight, one of the women was on her way to a shop in Four East in Greater Portmore, when she saw the other woman.
It was reported that an argument developed after the women found out about each other via Facebook.
Superintendent Clive Blair of the St Catherine South Division said both women were in a common-law relationship with the same man.
According to police report, the women started fighting, during which a sharp instrument was used to stab the 20-year-old in the neck. The injured woman was taken to the Spanish Town Hospital where she died during treatment.
The 18-year-old was taken into police custody. She is yet to be charged.
The names of both women have not been released and the whereabouts of the man at the source of the feud is unknown.
Catherine Wells-Burr, 23, was allegedly killed by Polish factory worker Rafal Nowak, 31, as she lay asleep in bed in the new home where they lived together.
It was claimed Nowak put Catherine’s body in her red Ford Focus and drove to a field where his Polish lover Anna Lagwinowicz, 32, and her uncle Tadevsz Dmytryszyn, 38, were waiting to play their part in the murder plot.
The jury was told Lagwinowicz and her uncle used petrol to set light to Catherine’s body in the car around 6am – giving Nowak time to arrive for work with an alibi.
The three Poles allegedly planted messages which suggested Catherine was having an affair with an unidentified “mystery man” who was responsible for her death.
The court heard that texts between specially purchased phones and SIM cards were exchanged to create a “false trail” to implicate Catherine’s “secret lover” in her death.
Prosecutor Richard Smith QC said: “Catherine in all likelihood was killed by Nowak as she slept in her bed in her own home – a quiet killing perhaps by suffocation with a pillow so to leave little trace of that which had been done.
“These three knew Nowak had time to leave his home, get himself to the local factory where he worked and check in as the flames engulfed the car some miles away.
“In the hope of avoiding detection, the defendants tried to create a false trail intended to raise suspicion that Catherine was seeing, meeting with, perhaps having an affair with some unknown mystery man.
“To that devious end the defendants set up a false trail of text messages purported to go between Catherine and this mystery man.
“They bought SIM cards and bought telephones to create the false exchanges.”
But police did not believe the story and the three were arrested, the court heard.
Nowak started a relationship with Lagwinowicz shortly after he left his wife and child in Poland and moved to England in 2008.
But he began seeing Catherine in 2010 while they worked together on a factory production line during her Summer break from university.
She became a business analyst at Numatic International, known for the Henry vacuum cleaners, where Nowak and her parents worked.
But the court was told that Lagwinowicz was jealous of her love rival and allegedly rekindled her romance with Nowak before Catherine’s alleged murder in September last year.
Prosecutor Mr Smith said: “They were back together, behind Catherine’s back. “They planned the murder together with the input and help of Lagwinowicz’s uncle.
“By killing Catherine in those early hours, they knew they would secure a life insurance policy as a result, the home for Nowak – and Catherine would be removed from their lives.”
The jury heard how Lagwinowicz had been “bitterly spiteful” when she and Nowak split.
Mr Smith said: “She never got over the loss of her Polish boyfriend to his English girlfriend. She wanted him back.
“It seems she embarked on a path of jealousy, vindictiveness. She tried to unsettle the relationship with the new English girlfriend.
“Texts were sent, things were said – all designed, it seemed, to drive a wedge between Nowak and Catherine.
“It is that simmering discontent, a fatal attraction, that never disappeared. It is a theme of this case.”
Nowak, of Chard, Somerset, and Lagwinowicz and Dmytryszyn, of Taunton, Somerset, have each denied murder.